Thursday, March 24, 2016

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) First Impressions with Sample Images


Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)

Normally, I would do my best to start out any new blog entry with some wit and humor but today I am simply too tired and worn out, the gas tank is running on empty. Which says a lot, in and of itself, about my newest camera, the Leica D-Lux (Typ 109). "Typ" is how you spell "Type" in German and this is, after all, a camera of German design. However, it's not manufactured in Germany, no. For that the Germans partnered up with their old WWII Axis partners, the Japanese. Both countries, of course, reknown for making the best cameras in the world, this Leica is no exception.

I picked the camera up for the post office late in the afternoon, alas, just an hour before my dinner plans. I only had time to charge the battery and quickly browse through the buttons and menus. I pulled the battery off the charger, threw the camera in my jacket pocket (I can verify first hand that the Leica D-Lux Typ 109 does indeed fit in a jacket pocket with no problems) and ran out the door. Because of my time constraints, I left the camera in full automatic, which was fine because I simply wanted to fire off a few test shots to get an idea of what this camera is ultimately capable of. I was not disappointed. 


This is my first shot with the Leica D-Lux (Typ 109). As you can see, it has the classic look that only a Leica lens can deliver. The max aperture on this fantastic Vario-Summiliux is 1.7! 


The above photo of the Vespa was taken at full zoom, 75mm. 
I shot this hand held from the inside of my car.


At 24mm, the lens is plenty wide. I love the cinematic, full frame look 
when the perspective is set to 16:9.


I left the camera in 16:9. I think I like it much better than 4:3. As you an see, even in low light, skin tones are warm and the photo shows very little noise. The above image is at ISO 500, f/1.7

I'm extremely excited about the addition of this camera to my inventory. It gives me another fun tool to choose from and fulfills my desire of owning a digital Leica. Who knows? Perhaps this will push me to sell my film Leica's to fund a $4000 Leica Q?

No comments:

Post a Comment